Friday, July 20, 2007

"EXTRA-CADEMIC"

Yesterday, I went to college early to attend the morning chapel. After chapel, I had one hour before my first class starts and I went to the library to do my daily devotion (it has become my habit), for early mornings in the library are indeed scenes of tranquility. Thinking it was another day of routine, I was surprised when I heard my name being called. Seeing that it was only Ms Eunice, the librarian and another girl in the library, I thought I must have heard wrongly. But then I heard it again, and I knew I couldn't be wrong the second time. I looked up and saw Ms Eunice looking my way with teary eyes! I got the shock of my life! Well, I have never been one who is good at dealing with stuff like this (I'm really afraid to see people crying!). "Oh, NO!" was my first thought, "Doesn't look too good..." Before I knew it, I was by her side, hearing her pour out her heart about the health problems her father is facing and how she and her family has to cope with it. Then I heard myself offering to pray for her- the first sentence I heard myself said all through the encounter. We prayed and she seemed comforted and I reverted to my routine. Whew!! There goes...

The longer I remain in the college, the lousier I feel about still being in college, and particularly this college-- Methodist College KL. Some of my close friends have graduated and gone on to further studies and I am still stuck here (I probably am one of the oldest students in college...), stuck here with some of the people I don't mind not seeing for the rest of my life. I regret not having entered college earlier, or else I would have graduated by now, and have gone on to university. Instead, I am still here, and I will still be here for at least one year.

As I was sitting and sulking and wondering how different things would have been if I had decided to enter 4 months earlier, a friend burst into the classroom and shared her problems and worries with me (again I went "Oh, NO!"). But again I found myself praying for her and giving her a squeeze on the shoulder (guess I couldn't find anything else better to say and to do). She seemed glad to have someone to hear her out and she left after thanking me. Then I was alone.

Being in college, I realised, is not just about academics and co-curricular activities. It is not just about getting the education and the grades you need to move on to tertiary education. As I had realised, it is a gradual process of growth, where you grow, not merely mentally, physically, and emotionally, but also spiritually. And this is especially true in Methodist College. Many different people have crossed my path in college; some are my mentors, some are my peers with whom I grow, and some are the people to whom I am an encouragement. In this short period of the past 365 days, my faith had grown, my faith had been strengthened, my faith had been challenged. However, in Methodist College, I am often given the support I need to defend my faith and the guidance I need to get back on the right trail after straying away, and I have learned to stand my ground despite the circumstances.

However brilliant a plan I may think I have for myself, I can't help but to admit that HE has a greater plan for me. I can't argue with HIM, for I know that HE sees the big picture and I don't. Therefore, although I believe that I should be somewhere else at this time, I have come to acquiesce that HE has placed me where I am right now for a reason. I may not see the full reason right this moment, but it will be gradually revealed to me someday. Hence as I take every step, it is a step of faith, knowing that HE has a greater plan in store for me. As I have approximately 365 more days to be spent in Methodist College, this will be a period when I will await greater miracles to be done in and through my life.

P.S.: extra= beyond; academic= relating to education;
'EXTRA-CADEMIC'= extra + academic= beyond education

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alright, i'll be the first to post in your blog! Yea, it's true that we won't realise that we have committed a mistake at the first time but we won't be able to turn back the clock. Unfortunately, we have to live with what we have currently day by day. But, I think that we should be thankful that He has guided through all along our lives. I believe that God has a plan for each and every one of us. Though u feel lonely cuz most of ur frens have graduated and u feel regretted for not joining college earlier, I believe that God already has a major plan for you in the future. So, dun worry, i believe u will make new friends. By the way, now only I know that u do your devotion every morning in the library. Anyway, i believe that u will be an encouragement to ur new frens who need help. Enjoy ur life in college!