Sunday, August 19, 2007

Lost Verse

"When it empties into the Sea, the water there becomes fresh. Swarms of living creatures will live wherever the river flows. There will be large numbers of fish, because this water flows there and makes the salt water fresh; so where the river flows everything will live." Ezekiel 47:8-9

This is one of the verses I really liked. I wrote it down and kept it in my diary, but recently, when I wanted to take it out and look for the reference, it seemed to have disappeared. I tried looking it up in the Bible concordance, but I couldn't seem to locate it, as it is not one of the famous verses, like John 3:16. So I looked it up in the online Bible concordance. After hours of searching, I finally found it. Yay!

Well, you may be wondering why this verse. It seems like another one of the verses in the Old Testament, describing this and that, or maybe it sounds like Thomas Hardy's non-stop description of the surrounding (bear with me and my Hardy, as you must understand that I am doing Hardy's text for Literature). Well, stop looking at the face value of the words. Stop taking the verse literally and you will understand.

When I first came across this verse in the Bible, it left a deep impression on me. I marvel at the extensive influence of the river. It even turns sea water into fresh water. Is that amazing or what? Even with modern technology, this is not possible (so I think). And wherever it flows, it brings life!

This makes me reflect on my own life. How amazing it will be if my life can have that kind of an influence on the people around me! To bring life wherever I go (not literally, as I am not God), and to make a difference wherever I go. It brings to mind the message Sis Kim Cheng gave in CF last Friday. Legacy Live! ('Live' means secara langsung). I can make a difference for God wherever He places me right now. I don't have to leave a legacy only after I die.

This is how I want my life to be. It is my prayer that my life will be like the river-- To turn sea water to fresh water and to bring life wherever I go.

No comments: