Friday, October 19, 2007

The fine line between kindness and foolishness

At times I wonder if values are always contemporary, or like technology, they become obsolete with the passage of time. In moral classes, we are often taught to help the 'poor and needy'. In Bible Knowledge class, we are taught the Law of Love from the Christian perspective as Jesus taught in Luke 6:27-30,

"27 But I say to you that hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. 29 To him who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also; and from him who takes away your coat do not withhold even your short. 30 Give to every one who begs from you; and of him who takes away your goods do not ask them again."

I can't help wondering if these teachings are still applicable today in the 21st century. Will we be treated like fools if we strictly adhere to what we were taught? Will we be taken advantage of because we demonstrate love as we were taught to?

As I walked down Petaling Street, especially from Plaza Rakyat LRT station, the people by the street trying to make a living caught my attention, and my heart went out to them. Many a time I wanted to just show them kindness and Christian love. But the question here is 'How?'. My intention to give them alms was immediately terminated when I saw a packet of cigarettes peeping out of their pockets. If they can afford to purchase cigarettes, wouldn't they be able to afford their meals as well? If I were to give them money just like that, I would be supporting the tobacco industry, wouldn't I? So I intended to help them by giving them food instead. Disappointingly, this intention of mine was also forced to be terminated when I heard that my brother's friend who did the same was scolded by the 'poor lady' for not giving her money instead. Well, so much for demonstrating love and kindness....

There was once, when I was browsing through some books in Borders, I was approached by an old lady who asked me for some money to buy a drink. Not wanting to turn her away empty handed, I sent my brother who was with me to buy her mineral water from 7-Eleven. Guess what? She didn't want mineral water. She wanted Milo! Fine. And she led my brother to the shop that probably sells the most expensive Milo ever and ordered the drink even before my brother reached the shop. It cost him RM 2.80 for one teeny-weeny cup of Milo! For the next few days, he couldn't stop complaining!

I think it was not so much the RM 2.80 that prompted my brother's complaints, but rather the feeling that he was being exploited for his kindness. Hence, it points us back to the question of whether or not Jesus' command for us to show kindness without holding back is still applicable in the 21st Century, when you do not even know if the person who approaches you comes with pure intentions.

Can we still demonstrate love by turning the other cheek when being struck? Or will we be taken advantage of because of the command to demonstrate love? Can we still 'give to all who beg from us'? Does doing so really help the needy, or is the money merely being channelled from our pockets to the pockets of others who are possibly better off than ourselves?

I guess living in the deceptive age of the 21st Century demands a lot of wisdom, discretion and discernment to ensure that our position is not being taken advantage of. After all, kindness and foolishness are merely separated by a very fine line.

1 comment:

child_of_God said...

i understand this situation; having been in it a few times myself. indeed, the days are evil and we are called to be wise as serpants and innocent as doves. We should be careful to whom we give 'aid' to. I good way i feel is to look at the physical condition of the person. If he/she has deformities, understood. But if the person has two arms and two legs, the person is just plain lazy do to extra work. I dunno if it is an actual chinese saying but 'if you have two arms and two legs you can survive'.

But even those who are deformed purposely make themselves that way to get compassion or they are exploited by other people.

so, i guess is just to asses it for ourselves. i believe scripture doesn't contradict itself. look at 2 Thessalonians 3:10, "For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

there is a chinese saying, "Give a man a fish and he will be full for a day. Give a man a fishing rod and teach him hoe to fish and he won't be hungry again'. There are various government establishments and NGO's that help those physically disabled to be independant. so, they have no excuse.

oops...to chiong hei adi...sorry tabitha. :P