Thursday, June 19, 2008

Let's do away with exams!

Exams! Who ever invented such a thing? It’s the Chinese, isn’t it? I know it’s to test your academic ability and how far you’ve progressed academically, but does it really do that? I mean, you study for a year or two, and then finally your fate lies in the hands of a two-hour paper! What’s the logic of it?

And then there’s always the element of luck. Okay, I know we don’t do luck, but I’m referring to that element in life that lies beyond human control. So call it whatever you want. Divine destiny, maybe? Truth is, sometimes during exams, some things are just out of your control. Like falling sick during an exam period, or getting a super-hard question, or maybe even reading the time wrongly. So you just flop your exam for that simple reason, and it’s the end of the world. How unfair!

Oh, and in standardized test, you don’t even know who marks your paper, and how they do it. You may unfortunately get a lousy examiner, who unfortunately marks your paper wrongly, and there goes your paper, and your future! All that you’ve been labouring for for the past two years… gone, just like that!

So much depends on the paper alone. Too much! It’s like a dice that can either lead you to a box that says, “Congratulations! You’ve won”, or to one that says, “Move backwards 3 steps.” The bottom line is this: exams take the fun out of learning. Just imagine how fun school would be if not for exams. We can then learn because we enjoy learning, and not learn to sit for exams. So, let’s do away with exams!!

Okay… okay! Yes, I am suffering from PET (Post-Exam Trauma) resulting in AES (Anti-Exam Syndrome). Oh well, I’m just glad that it’s over now, at least for this one and a half months. And I praise the Lord that I am still alive. Hallellujah!

So, who cares to join me in calling for exams to be done away with?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Dorcas!! Great to see you back blogging after your exams. I'm sure you're glad that your exams are all over after months of studying. I'm glad that mine's over too, at least for a few months.

To be honest, i don't like exams either. Maybe we could just live without exams. But we need exams to pass our subjects. So, we've no choice but to live with it. But, i'm in the same boat as you, disliking exams and wanting it to be removed forever.

P.S: I'll try to revive my blog. Do visit if you have the time.

alvink said...

you're back into the blogging world.. hahaaa

sarah said...

hear hear!

i'm right behind you! haha