Friday, October 17, 2008

Fundamental Right?

So, as election is drawing nearer, there have been talks about human rights, and things that the people have to fight for. Being where the action is, I have way too many doses of stuff like these. Among others is the freedom/right to bear arms. Apparently, here at Liberty, people advocate the freedom to bear arms. In fact, according to many, it is a fundamental right and freedom that has to fought for and preserved.

One of my lecturers shared in class that she shuddered at the thought that any of her hundreds of students in the class can easily carry a gun in their backpack. Yet, on the other hand, she is a strong advocate of the freedom to bear arms. She said that she did not like to be told, what she can or cannot own. So, it boils down to the very American word: freedom.

This whole issue is totally foreign to me. Being born in Malaysia, I never had to ask such a question. After all, I have not even seen a real gun up close, except the ones held in a policeman's holster. However, I am very curious what non-Americans (Christians, especially) think about this issue. Will you guys please do me a favour and take the poll posted on the right? I want to see some numbers.

Please feel free to leave your written comments here. Thank you!

*The poll is open for everyone to take.

2 comments:

Kai Seng said...

freedom is doing what you were created to do.;P

child_of_God said...

the right to bear arms is, i think, misused like the ISA in Malaysia. even if the right to bear arms is repealed, there are other killing weapons such as knives and parang (malaysia). if we outlawed knives to, we no need to cut meat for cooking adi. :P i guess its the freedom to use or misuse stuff. :P

my 10 cents ( 2 cents no more value in malaysia adi..so can't say my 2 cents. :P)