Saturday, August 11, 2007

Just a Boy

My Dad just turned 50 last month. A big day and a big year for him. That's like half the century! I didn't buy him any huge gift, just a cake. So, i thought I'd dedicate this to him-- a description of my Dad. I got so fed up with the usual "My Dad is kind, my Dad is loving, caring, etc", so I decided that I shall avoid all the clichés and go right to the point:

"My Dad is a boy."

Duh! Even the blind knows that! Okay, let me explain myself.

Just like a little boy of 4, Dad likes to watch cartoons, especially Thundercats. Every time it is shown on TV, he will definitely be glued to the TV. Then as he watches, he laughs and marvels at the characters and their abilities unconsciously. He even used Thundercats as an illustration in his sermon before, if any of you guys realised it. Besides Thundercats, there are other cartoons too, erm... like Justice League or something like that (I'm really no cartoon aficionado!) Of course, you certainly cannot expect him to miss out Spiderman 1, 2 and 3 (which he actually took us to the cinema to watch). Oh, and Narnia! We watched it in the cinema and he was actually sitting on the edge of his seat, leaning forward towards the screen (literally!)! Realising this, Mum and I turned our heads to marvel at how he was so fascinated by the movie. After that, for a week or so, he couldn't stop talking about Narnia!

Just like a young boy of 7, Dad is impatient. Whenever we eat at restaurants during peak hours, we'll find him missing from his seat. While waiting for food, he'll go out for a walk and leaves us in a puzzle as to his whereabouts, and leaves Mum grumbling about him not bothering to tell us where he went. If we happen to dine at a place where he is forced to be confined to his seat, he will start complaining to the waiters, demanding the food to arrive asap. Then when the food finally arrives, he will compare it to the illustrations put up for marketing purposes and ask why are they so much smaller in reality (especially at McDonald's!) and the whole family tries so hard to hide our faces!

Just like a teenage boy of 16, Dad is an emotional guy (and I mean VERY emotional!). He speaks whatever comes to his mind out of the blue. At times (mostly at the dinner table), he will hold this 'family meeting' where he will give emotional speeches about how he loves all of us so much that he wants only the best for us, how he tries so hard to spend more time with us despite being so busy as a pastor, and the fact that we are all growing up a lil' too soon and will be leaving him someday in the near future. Most of the time, scenarios like these leave us in a daze, wondering if we had done something wrong and this is just an introduction to the lecture that is on its way. It is only later when I ask Mum about it that she tells me that Dad is getting a lil' jealous of us being closer to Mum than to him, and this makes him really sad.

Just like a young man of 21, Dad is truly, madly, deeply, and hopelessly in love with Mum! It is as though this is the first day he sets his eyes on Mum and can't afford to take his eyes off her. It is exactly like the first day a young man falls in love with his first love and the spark of love is as bright as ever. This is the kind of love that I see Dad has for Mum, when in reality she is not his first love and they have been married for 22 years. He still takes the effort to make special days truly special for her and make everyday a Valentine's Day for Mum, although he seldom gets much in return, for Mum has never been the 'romantic' type. I don't think he expects much in return, anyway. (Sometimes I do pity him!)

Actually there are lots of other things about my Dad which I would really like to tell you guys, like the fact that he really loves playing games, loves crapping a lot with my bros (which sometimes annoys Mum and I), and loves cross-stitching (by the way, the picture on the left under "My Louvre" is a cross-stitch done by Dad for me)! Well, due to space and time constraint, I shall save these for some other occasions. But for now, here are some treats: a glimpse of some of Dad's favourites...... toy cars and toy bikes collection!

























No comments: