Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Too close for comfort

When were you closest to anyone? I sure would like to think that it is when I'm with my loved ones and friends. Unfortunately, many a time, it is a stranger who shares this closeness. Scratching your head? You'll know what I mean if you are one who frequently takes public transport, especially during peak hours.

Having to take the public transport every week day, I know what it means to be really close to someone. Especially during peak hours like 8am+ and 5pm+, you are forced into the close company of strangers, whether or not you like it, of course, unless you don't mind waiting for a longer period of time for the next train/ bus. Well, as for me, I have neither the luxury of time nor the patience.

The moment the doors slide open, the battle for space begins. Everyone tries to shove and push to secure a spot in the train, however small it may be. As long as they get both their feet beyond the open doors, other parts come in second. Hence, we have the hilarious situations when guys get their backpacks stuck in between the closed doors and the edges of clothing are seen between the doors. I try to be civilised and let others go first, after all, this is what we were taught in moral classes, but somehow, people just don't give way to civility. Those from the back start pushing if you don't make way, and deep inside, I realise that if I don't do the same, I will never get on the train.

Finally, I am in the train, and when the doors close, I realise that I am trapped in a small space with at least more than 50 other strangers. Claustrophobia sets in! Not only so, I find myself in close proximity to these people whom I hardly know. In fact, they are total strangers. Literally! I find my body being dangerously and uncomfortably close to them. Sometimes, our hands touch and, as though there is a current, both hands are drawn apart in a reflex, followed by a muttered apology, as if it is a great sin to be in contact with each other. How ironical that sounds, when you are surrounded by a sea of crowd!

Four more stations to go!

The longer period of time I spend in the train, the more conscious I am of the apparent odour coming from those around me. There are smells of Romance, Curious, Calvin Klein and Hugo. There are smells of mere body odour that makes me wonder when was the last time these people took a long good shower, or perhaps they fell into a drain prior to boarding the train. The mixture of odours turns the sweet smell to unbearably strong stench and the smell of sweat into... well, I shall not proceed.

Three more stations to go!

When the lady in front of me finally decides to remove her baggage from the seat next to her, for which I assume she bought a ticket since they occupy one whole seat or perhaps more, I seize the opportunity and force my bum into the limited space. After having done so, I begin to regret. I realise that the man to my right is eyeing me from top to toe and it really makes me feel awkward and uncomfortable. The woman to my left is carrying a plastic bag from which water is dripping. And I wonder where does the liquid come from, until I finally peer into the bag and see that she had just bought some fresh fish from the market. Then when the train finally jerked to a stop, the man to my right is suddenly a couple of inches nearer to me.

Two more stations to go!

Just when I think that things cannot be anymore worse, I am proven wrong. Handphones start to ring as if it is nobody's business. I am treated to a wide variety of music of all genres. From Jay Chou, Westlife and Siti Nurhaliza to Richard Clayderman, P. Ramlee and Bollywood. Oh, not forgetting the homophonic 'Jingle Bell's. Then they talk as though they are in the comfort and privacy of their living rooms, speaking in maximum volume, in languages which will really contaminate my hearing. I know it is very rude to eavesdrop, Mummy has often taught me not to, but in this case, I really can't help overhearing the whole conversations. It is not as if I want to and would like to, but it just cannot be otherwise, of course unless I'm deaf, which I am not.

One more station to go!

The man in front of me starts to cough and the woman to his left starts to sneeze. I was taught to cover my mouth whenever I do so, but I guess not all Mums and Dads teach their kids to do so. Well, besides that, one of their hands is clutching their bags which I think must contain at least 10 bars of pure gold, and the other is holding onto the railing, clinging on for their dear lives, as though the train is going to go topsy-turvy anytime. Where is there a third hand to cover their mouths?

Next station, Hang Tuah.

Finally, I've reached my station. I just cannot wait to get out of this confinement, but not without putting up a last fight. As the doors open, I have to push my way through, rubbing against a thousand other torsos on the way, muttering a million 'excuse me's just to battle for whatever limited space that is left for me. At the same time, another sea of homo sapiens is gushing into the train.

Fresh air at last, and space, wonderfully precious space! I never know how precious they are previously.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Dorcas, i know how it feels like to take public transport every day. I take the train on weekdays during my MBS days. So, i do understand how difficult it is to get a train as it's so crowded. I used to have tuition up to 5.30 pm in town during my secondary school days, and that's when the crowd begins to gather.

Yea, in the train, some people just can't talk softly. I can clearly hear sometimes about their conversation, though i know i shouldn't even be doing so.

Sometimes, we have no choice but to neglect what we have learn in our moral, especially when fighting to get in the train. Everyone is rushing to go home, so we do not expect any favours from someone else. All we can do is that we can only remain patient until we reach our destination.

Based on your experience, i think that the conclusion is that we can see people with different types of characteristics in the train.

child_of_God said...

ah...public transport...use it all the time. hehe. i was in a train one morning on the way to work. it was so crowded and to add to the situation, the aircon was not working properly! I even had difficulty breathing. I thought that either I have to adapt to surviving on carbon dioxide or getting of at the next station. Ironically, I didn't get off along the way. Have I adapted to surviving on carbon dioxide? you decide. :P

I have seen and have been in circumstanced that the train is full to maximum capacity. Imagine being crushed on all sides! But i use this to my advantage. I use the people surrounding me as my supports. So, i don't have to hold on to anything; i just lean on them whenever the train jerks. :p

i guess can't help making contact in public transport. just stuff your hands into your pockets (don't want stuff to disappear or accidently touching the wrong places), lean on others, enjoy the scenery (thats if you are next to a window), and anticipate your arrival at your destination. Now, that wasn't so bad, eh? :p

yvonne said...

i take the train too.
sucks at times ;)