Friday, November 23, 2007

The other side of driving

It was a fine morning when he said, "Come out, Dorcas. I teach you how to change the tyres. This is very different from the old car." As though I knew how to change the tyres of the old car! Anyway, I obediently went out in my pyjamas.

"Don't you want to change into something else? In case you dirty your pyjamas," Mum said. What?! I thought I was just suppose to observe him doing it! You know, be the audience.... I didn't know it's going to be a hands-on training.

First, he showed me how to replace and retrieve the spare tyre. Well, I did not even know where the spare tyre was kept, to begin with. Anyway, he showed me how to do it at first, then he made me do it as well. It was not so difficult after all! You just screw and screw and screw till the thing is tight.....

After that, he taught me how to jack up the car to change the tyres. So he began by showing me where the jack was kept. When one mentions 'jack', the image of a red and white lawn-mower-like thing appears in my mind's eyes. To my surprise, he took out this black and shiny bomb-like thing with a knob in front that really looked more like a bunsen burner. Then he showed me where to place the thing. It was supposed to be placed somewhere under the suspension, I think. Of course, I did not even know what a suspension looked like.

"See that thing over there? You place it right there." I just nodded and replied with an "uh-huh". But to be honest, the whole of the bottom part of the car looks the same to me. After all, the whole thing is black in colour, and I am pretty sure every part is just as dirty.

So finally he got it done and over with, and I had to help keep all the tools, which I was almost certain weighed more than a tonne. And I wonder why no one ever said anything about changing the tyres when I signed up for driving lessons....

It is no wonder why girls find it hard to connect with their dads. I am sure if it were my brother, he would have been so eager to do these things. But me? change the tyres? under this hot sun? You must be kidding.... I always believe that my God is an awesome God. I can't marvel more at His wisdom than when He created Adam and his sons. Who is gonna change the tyres if they do not exist?

3 comments:

child_of_God said...

Lolz. that means you are not Adam's descendant? If only the men were Adam's descendants, then women is descendant of who?:P? Don't say it's eve:P Descendants are always traced from the male side:P so, man or woemn, we are adam's descendatns. :P

lol. if cars existed in the garden of Eden, Eve would help Adam fix a flat tyre because she was Adam's hlelper:P Lolz

-Δορκας- said...

Okay.... I know what you are getting at... it's just a phrase, or expression.. wadever... u know, how they say sons of Adam and daughters of Eve.

child_of_God said...

lolz! okies. yeah..i know...:P oh well. keep it up. i enjoy reading your posts. visit mine too yeah..i update more often adi. :P