Thursday, November 22, 2007

Doing it my way!

I found this very cute comic on 'Being Five':



Cute and interesting, isn't it? Sure it is, but it also reminds me of us. Yes, us, as in you and me!

It reminds me of the time when I told God that I was old enough to do things on my own. I told Him that I didn't need His help anymore. And the worst part of the story is not when I made mistakes, the worst part is when I made a mistake and I did not even know that I'd made one. Like Georgie, I wonder why 'there's an upside down number which was not there'.

While it is necessary for us to grow up and be independent, we have to realise that we will never be able to totally do things on our own without the help of anyone. That is why God has said that He will be with us always. He didn't say that He will be with us until we are old enough spiritually, because He knows we will never be old enough to do everything correctly.

It is also the same in the real world. As teens grow older, we have a tendency to deny help and advice. We think we are old enough to do it on our own. Of course, we never think we are not capable of doing certain things, because we do not even know we have made a mistake in the first place. That is why God has placed in our lives long-suffering parents who relentlessly contribute their generous suggestions and advice in every single thing we do. I am sure God has placed them in our lives for a reason.

Mistake-making is an inevitable part of life, which does not fade away with the process of aging. We still make mistakes, just that the mistakes that we make at every stage of our lives differ. It's high time we all learn to ask for help once in a while when things get out of hand!

No comments: