Friday, December 19, 2008

I am Malaysian!

Recently I have been having too many doses of everything American. Some time ago, they had their Veteran's Day, and at Liberty, we had our Veteran's Day Convocation, just to pay tribute to people in the armed forces who faithfully served and are serving the country. Some representatives of the armed forces marched out with the American flag. Videos of the veterans were shown. The "Star-Spangled Banner", the lyrics and tune of which I had absolutely no idea, was sung. The pledge of allegiance was recited.

Then of course there was the election which was very much talked about. There were so many politicians who were invited to speak at our convocations, all too many, in fact. Everyone was talking about the political and economics situation of the nation, while at the same time, praying for the country as well.

Young people ranging from age 17 to mid-twenties cared so much about their country. They actually knew the significance of casting a vote in the election. They actually cared enough about the politics and the economy of the country to talk about it over dinner. They actually cared enough to plead to God on behalf of their nation, asking for forgiveness and mercy.

This is something new to me, because in Malaysia, most young people do not even bother to get out of bed earlier once in four years to cast a vote. Politics and economy are conversation topics for above-middle-age men. Yes, we do pray for our country during that 40-day prayer and fasting event organised by NECF, or when we hear that petrol prices are soaring, or when we hear that Anwar has set a new date to take over the government.

Do we not care enough for our country to uphold her in prayer to the LORD Almighty? Do we not care enough to plead for forgiveness on behalf of Malaysia? Are we too caught up with our homework and crushes that we have forgotten this land that the LORD has placed us in? Obviously, Malaysian (non-bumiputra) youths are are not patriotic enough to take any interest in what's going on within the country, let alone to intercede on her behalf. It makes me shudder to think that these young people are the future leaders of the country. I bet some may not even know who is the current ruling party.

Why is this so? Well, for one thing, we do not identify ourselves as Malaysians. Whereas anyone who holds an American citizenship calls him/herself an American, whether that person is black, red, yellow or white, people in Malaysia call themselves Chinese, Malay, or Indian. This is the weirdest thing. I have met Chinese from China, and the Chinese they speak sounds entirely different from mine. They can even tell from my looks that I am not from China. I have met people from Hong Kong who told me that my Cantonese is funny, whatever that means. And my English certainly does not sound like either that of the Americans or the English.

So, what does that make me? I can only come to the conclusion that I am Malaysian! I do not speak Chinese, Cantonese or English. I speak Malaysian. We may feel that we are not being treated as first-class citizens. We may feel that we have been deprived of all the special privileges that some others enjoy. But then again, we will never get these treatments elsewhere either. Maybe it's time we realise that God has not put us where we are so that we can distinguish ourselves from others, but so that we can make a difference for His world right where we are. Maybe it's time we, as the next generation of the nation, start caring for and interceding on behalf of Malaysia.

No comments: