Sunday, July 22, 2007

@grace in theater

There's been some pretty 'serious' stuff in my blog the past few days. Guess it's a kinda deep. Well, let's get back in touch with daily life.

Last week, I went to Kuala Lumpur Performing Arts Center (KL Pac) at Sentul West to watch 'Alias Grace' in theater. It's a monologue, where there's only one person playing the whole of the drama. My Dad went with me as no one else in the family enjoys such a thing (not that Dad enjoys it, but He just accompanied me). The show was at 8.30pm, but we left the house at 6.15pm to beat the traffic (sigh... life in KL), yet we were still caught in heavy traffic for one and a half hours. When we were at Sentul, we stopped by to ask for directions.

Upon entering Sentul West, I felt as it we were somehow being teleported to another dimension. Sentul West was like a world by itself with brilliant landscaping and, not forgetting the scene by the beautiful Sentul lake (didn't even know the existence of the lake!); all these contrasting the rundown and drunkard-filled streets of Sentul. So great was the difference!

We managed to reach the destination on time and still had time for dinner (supposingly...). After collecting our tickets, we went to check out the caféteria and, guess what??! There was a set of meal, comprising of a sandwich and a can of soft drinks (not Perriere or d'Esprit, but merely 100 Plus and Coke) priced at RM 10++! It'd be better if they just rob the bank! So we went out to look for food, but the Sentul was just so 'ghetto-like' that we went into a sundry shop and grabbed bread and bottled drinks as it was already 8.15pm. sigh...

The show was not a disappointment at all! I enjoyed it tremendously. Couldn't leaves my eyes from Caroline Lee (the actress). She could memorise the whole script that lasted for like one hour and 45 minutes. The script was equivalent to approximately half of my text book which I took couple of months to finish! I was amazed! Dad, on the other hand, didn't enjoy it quite as much. The only thing he remembered from the show was:

"Needles and pins, needles and pins;
When a man marries, his trouble begins."

That was the only thing he told Mum when we went back home. haha... I started wondering how can my family be so different from myself. We are a family. We are supposed to be as one, but I seemed to be the odd one out. hmm....

Anyway, it was a beautiful experience. Among the things I remember most about the trip are the show itself (of course!) and the amazing landscape around, not forgetting the blind man who was playing the grand piano at the lobby of KL Pac!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, dorcas, glad u enjoyed ur show! Well, it looks like u are reali into english literature. U dun seem boring when watching these kind of shows. As for me, well, i partially like watching these kind of plays. Maybe i'm not the type of person who admires these kind of performances.Anyway, KLPac was truly an awesome place. It's quiet, compared to other places in Sentul. The auditorium was also pretty big and nice, though the food wasn't that worth it because of its price. Anyway, all da best in your studies! Remember always that God is with us all the time! See ya!