Tuesday, July 31, 2007

living... and dying... for Jesus

I really like the hymn "Living for Jesus". It's a nice one (and also probably because it suits my vocal) and I've chosen it many times before when I lead worship. Come to think of it, living for Jesus has not been easy at all. I have had problems living up to the lyrics of the hymn, especially the part that says "Striving to please Him in all that I do". It is not easy to please the Lord, you know (He is kinda hard to please...). And in ALL that I do? I surely dare not say that out loud, for I know that some of my actions are not even fit to be seen by the Lord, let alone to please Him. But anyhow, I am trying. And then there's the part that says "My life I give, henceforth to live, O Christ, for Thee alone". "What?! I have my own life to live, my own dreams and goals to pursue. How do I give it all to Him and... just let go like that?" Well, I have come to terms with that, and I have realised that no one has a better plan for my life than God does. So, there...

Well, if you think that living for Jesus is hard, (having to live according to His will, give up your plans for His superior ones etc.) think twice! Dying for Him is even harder. The recent news of the South Koreans who are being held in hostage even as I am publishing this post right now sure saddens me. I was watching the news just now and saw how the mother of one of the victims broke down at the news of her son's death. It broke my heart too, and brought tears to my eyes. If you and I think that living for Jesus is so hard and demands so much of us, how about dying for Him? I can't even imagine being in the position of the hostages.

It really takes so much to live for Jesus and to die for Him. Such news is nothing new. There had been missionaries who were killed by cannibals for preaching the gospel, apostles who were persecuted for preaching the good news of Jesus' resurrection and so on. But I thought those were great stories of great people of God with great faith. One thing that surprises me is the fact that this is still taking place in the 21st century. It reminds me that these persecutions are real and recent. They are not just stories we hear of great people who died for the Lord. It is real and it is happening today.

One thing is for sure, though: Everything that God has planned, He will work it for the good of those who love Him. That is God's promise to us. You may ask,"What good comes from the execution of this Korean mission team?". While you and I may not understand why this happens, but I'm confident that God can use it for His glory. Of course, it is easy for me to say this right now. After all, I am not the one whose being held hostage. True... and I guess I'll never know what it feels like to be face-to-face with death for Christ's sake (at least not now). I will never understand what the hostages are feeling right this moment. Are they doubting God or are they holding on and standing firm in their faith? If I were put in their position, I don't even know if I'll last for a day.

However, there's one thing I've come to realise and I know I must accept. Living for Jesus is not easy. In fact, it has never been. But if I have made the decision to live for Him, I must also be prepared to die for Him. It comes in a package, whether I like it or not. It is not a choice when it comes to dying for Him. It is the price that comes with living for Christ. It's attached to the initial deal. This is not easy... Well, no one ever said that it will be.

P.S: Help to plead for the release of the Korean hostages by signing the petition here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea, i really agree that it is very difficult to please the Lord. The Bible also states that "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God". There is no one perfect in this world. We have all done things which are not considered pleasant in His eyes.

Yea, it's true that it is difficult to live for the Lord. But, i also feel that dying for God is even more difficult. If i were one of the hostages, i would also be feeling afraid.But, after hearing all the great stories of people that had died for the Lord preaching the gospel,we can still have faith in Him that He will use these sad incidents for His glory.

However,I'm sure that God will work out a plan for those who love Him. Once we have chosen to follow Him and live for Him, we have to learn to be prepared to die for Him no matter at what cost.

child_of_God said...

well...depends how ones sees it. i hv heard someone say this that it is easier to die for Jesus than to live for Him. this is because once u get killed, thats it...u go straight to God but living for Jesus...5 years? 10 years? 40 years?

the guess the korean mission team had to see all of this as no surprise at all. going out to do God's work, its no surprise if u r persecuted even to death! it shud all be expected but through it all we pray that they will stand firm till the end, not necesarily released.

-Δορκας- said...

hmm... yea, dying may be easy as in it is done in just a moment. But the moments prior to that, when u sit and contemplate your possible death, how that is gonna take place, the knowledge that you will be leaving all the people you love, is never easy. It is bound to shake everyone to the core. Death in itself may be fine, but the circumstances surrounding it...