Wednesday, August 1, 2007

in LOVE!

I'm in LOVE! He's sensible, proper, kind, considerate, courteous, generous, loving, caring, selfless, cool AND he is right 99.99% of the time! (and the list goes on and on and on...) He is rich too, VERY RICH (owns a farm! how about that?). Seems to be THE perfect guy! I'm so madly, deeply and hopelessly in love...

Wanna know more about him? Well... he is 37 or 38 years old (kinda old, I know, but I'll be of that age someday...), lives in Highbury, England, specifically in Donwell Abbey (he owns that place, you know. a family inheritance), and has a brother who is married and is residing in London. Really sounds like my Prince Charming, though not many people actually find him charming. His character only appeals to people like me. Unfortunately, he is married... to Emma Woodhouse.

Well, if you haven't realised by now, the guy I am talking about is Mr. George Knightley of Jane Austen's Emma. You must think that I must be really lonely to be fantasising about a fictional character. Maybe I am, but as Ms. Fernandez said, it is good to feel strongly for a character or an event in the text, as it draws us into the text. I indeed have strong feelings for him... very strong! (Is this going a little overboard?)

Anyway, let's get back to reality (drag me back from Dreamland!). Although the character of Mr. George Knightley may be fictional, there are characteristics in his character that are indeed admirable and there are qualities in him that I wish to find in my future partner (whoever he may be). For instance, his clear conscience. He always sees faults that are not apparent to others and (you must admit!) he is correct almost 100% of the time. How can he do that? I guess it is by taking one step back when things get chaotic and judge things from an objective point-of-view, regardless of who or what is the subject matter. I really marvel at how he has the courage and tactfulness in confronting the high-and-mighty Emma (the one woman he loves deeply) with all her mistakes which are often overlooked by others. A sensible man indeed!

Of course, one of his qualities which appeals to me is his generosity and genuine concern for the less fortunate. I salute him for willingly giving up a large share of his yields to the big-mouth Miss Bates and her family, his willingness in providing Jane with a carriage to ferry her around. Although belonging to a higher stratum of society, he has never lost touch with the common people and treated them with just as much love. Oh, of course, my favourite part of the novel-- his reproach of the loud-mouthed, busy body and annoying Mrs. Elton for her self-assuming role as hostess. (way to go George!) Someone really gotta stop the annoyance and disgust she is causing to everyone. Thank you, Mr. Knightley, for saving a whole lotta people! What a fine gentleman he is...

The one most outstanding and admirable quality of his is his selflessness. I stand in awe of his willingness to give up his ego and his financial status in society for the sake of the only woman he ever loves. If a guy were to do that for me, I am so gonna fall for him! Without a doubt, I'd certainly fall head over heels. That is SO self sacrificial! It goes a long way in saying how much he really loves Emma. It is not just a crush he as for Emma, it is true love! Loving without making any sacrifices is not love at all. Hence, you can say that loving someone is not easy. It involves making sacrifices for the other person, and these sacrifices may include things that you are not yet ready to give up. It takes a whole lotta courage to really love someone. But I believe true love conquers all.

George Knightley, though a fictional character, offers us all a very precious lesson on LOVE, a familiar, yet foreign word to all of us. If he exists in real life, I'm so gonna get hold of him. Such a perfect and seemingly flawless man. Of course, if he is a Christian (not just any Christian, but a lover of God!), he'd really be perfect! I just hope that I'll find my Mr. Knightley someday. Well, to all you guys and gals out there who are in love (not with a fictional character like me!): When you decide to love someone (romantically or not), don't just fall in love or have a crush for someone. When you fall in love, make sure you are madly, deeply, and hopelessly in love! Love with all that you are and love with all that you have.

Well, as you may have realised, it's time for me to get into bed! To get into Dreamland...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea, a character like Mr. George Knightley is one to be adored by everyone. He is willing to give up his wealth and financial status for the woman he loves. He is willing to sacrifice everything for the woman that he loves. He can be said as a perfect life partner!! He also has a generous heart and is concerned for the less fortunate ones. He also owns a clear conscience which is pretty hard to find nowadays in people.

Mr. Knightley does offer us an important lesson about LOVE, which is as u say, we must love someone deeply and madly and not just have a crush for the person. As u say, we must also be willing to sacrifice something for the sake of love, otherwise it wouldn't be known as true love. It takes a lot of courage to really love someone, as we may have to give up certain possesions in life.

This is a wonderful story to learn. Wish that u can provide us readers with many more wonderful stories like this to come!!!

-Δορκας- said...

haha... sure I'll do more book reviews in the future. Just hope you guys don't get bored with my rambling about Literature and stuff like that.