Thursday, August 23, 2007

some amazing quotes

Here are some quotes from Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë which I found amazing. It will be even more amazing if not for the fact that the speakers are married, but not to each other...

"...for every thought she spends on Linton, she spends a thousand on me!"

"If he loved with all the powers of his puny being, he couldn't love as much in eighty years as I could in a day."

"...the sea could be as readily contained in that horse trough, as her whole affection be monopolised by him!"

- by Emily Brontë's Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights


"My great miseries in this world has been Heathcliff's miseries, and I watched and felt each from the beginning: my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods: time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees. My love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath: a source for little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I AM Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself, but as my own being."

- by Emily Brontë's Catherine Earnshaw in Wuthering Heights

No comments: