Sunday, September 23, 2007

Chambers v Almighty

The 21st century has seen people of the world fighting for their rights. Vigilant movements to fight for basic human rights, rights of women, rights of children, and rights of the minority have risen everywhere on the face of the earth. This reflects a widespread awareness of the law and of the rights that the law has given to us. While it is good and right to know the law and vouchsafe your rights as was constituted, let's not carry it to the extreme.

Living in the 21st century, we are so used to hearing people say, "I will sue you", that in fact, it has become one of the most popular phrases of the century. Even children say it. Of course, Hollywood has never ceased to promote what the law can do for you. As a law student, of course, I am not spared from this widespread epidemic. When doing the problem questions, I have to think of ways and laws under which I can sue people. Interesting, but not as interesting as you think it is. As I have 5 hours of law every week, inevitably, I also begin to view my daily life from a legal perspective. I begin to take notice of rights and contracts in our daily lives that were breached. Let me assure you, this annoys my family a lot, and I mean A LOT!

On Wednesday, though, this caught my eye,

"The defendant in a Nebraska state senator's lawsuit is accused of causing untold death and horror and threatening to cause more still. He can be sued in the state's Douglas County, the legislator claims, because He is everywhere."
- "Senator Sues God in Protest", The Star

Yes, he is trying to sue God. And the charge? "God has inspired fear and caused widespread death, destruction and terrorisation of millions upon millions of the Earth's inhabitants...... and has caused fearsome floods... horrendous hurricanes, terrifying tornadoes". He is seeking an injunction (a court order to prevent someone from doing something) against God. What can I say but 'bizarre' and 'absurd'.

As people of the 21st century, we are so engrossed with the power of the law, that we seem to have placed our security and our trust wholly on the law and our rights. The law is such an essential weapon for our lives, so much so that it does not merely function as a shield to safeguard our well being, but also as a weapon of attack for us to launch attacks at others, all in the name of 'human rights'. It has even elevated us to an assumed a disposition way beyond where the Creator of the heavens and the earth has placed us, so much so that we now attempt to rebuke our Creator.

I am indeed surprised that such an act of naivety was carried out by a lawmaker, one who was elected to govern the people most probably because of his capability. As I read of the news, I can't help but imagine my pet gold fish saying to me, "Hey! Keep your hands out of my goldfish bowl, or I'll sue you!" Sounds bizarre, isn't it? And we laugh at it. But this is exactly what our dear senator is doing. Doing such a thing, according to him, is to "make the point that anybody can file a lawsuit against anybody" under the law, but I think, it only shows us how interesting it can be when a senator turns himself into a clown. Indeed, he has made a laughing stock out of himself. What he did, to me, is like a child's play.

I wonder what happens if he does succeed in his action... What if the judge really grants him the injunction he is seeking? But, so what? Does anyone think that a mere injunction can regulate God's actions?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea, law is very essential in our current lives for protection of human rights. We all would depend on the power of law to protect us.

But, seriously, senator wanting to sue God is really bizarre and absurd. Even if he wants to sue God, he would never succeed because we would never know what God's actions would be. I think that the senator is only making a fool out of himself. There's no point wasting time trying to sue God.

child_of_God said...

Romans 13:1
"Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God."

Here is a verse from Romans 13:1. It says that God has established all authorities. Heck, the fella is trying to sue the Person who put the authorities (and the law) there in the first place? Is He trying to sue the Judge of the Universe with man's law? Man, he is in serious trouble. :P