Friday, January 18, 2008

can't live without

One never knows the value of someone or something until one loses it. How true that is! I can testify first hand, that's for sure.

It was only for a day. Yet I felt as though I was totally disconnected with the rest of the world. Actually I literally was. For one whole day (one day only? sure seemed longer), there was no one to wake me up for college, no one to remind me that it's time for TVB Drama, or to tell me that my time is running short. Worst of all, I felt so lonely and lost for a whole day, as though I was the only one left on Earth.

Well, if you haven't realised by now, I am talking about my handphone. I left it in college. Fortunately (or unfortunately), I got it back the next day. So, for one day, I had no contact with the outside world, because my parents' numbers are the only ones I remember by heart. There was no one to wake me up, because my handphone is also my only alarm clock. Oh, by the way, it functions as my watch too!

I truly did not realise how reliant I was on that little peanut-shape machine until I lost it. I did not own a mobile phone couples of years back, so what's the big deal now? But apparently, not having something before is way better than having it only to lose it again, as I have come to realise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Dorcas, at least you found back your handphone. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to make calls. Can thank God for it.

Y said...

Likewise.

I did not carry a mobile while I was in the college and university, can you believe that? I could only be contacted by email at that time and for outgoing call.. if there was a need to, I had to use a public phone.

I've been using a mobile for about two years now, it's what gets me connected with the people, it's like my watch and my alarm clock, it has all the books I need to read, etc. etc.

I'm not sure if you could see the pain of mine when I was in the camp. Internet is so essential in my life and I could not stop myself from accessing it via my mobile.

Argh. I'm so dead. I'll be the first to die when things are back to the stone-age.

= yc