Wednesday, January 23, 2008

living to die or dying to live?

According to my dad, according to an article he read, palm trees continue to live and grow as long as they do not bear fruit. The moment they bear fruit, they will self-terminate. According to the article, there's a species of palm trees in Madagascar that bear fruits only once in a hundred years, and then after that, death becomes inevitable. They live for a hundred years to fulfill their purpose, then they die. In other words, those trees literally live to die.

If living for Christ means living to die, so be it. But let's not be dying to live a life that has no purpose. For a tree that does not bear fruit is "cut down and thrown into the fire".
I've heard of people who are dying to live, but living to die? Never heard of it. So often people are struggling to survive. People try so hard to stay alive that they've forgotten the purpose of living. What good is a palm tree if it doesn't bear palm fruit? So what if it lives up to hundreds of years?

Psalms 119:175 says this, "Let me live that I may praise you...". This was David's proclamation. Let this be our proclamation as well. Let us live to fulfill the purpose of our very lives: to extol the creator. It may be through our deeds, but it may also be through our deaths.
"20I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed,
but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body,
whether by life or by death.
21For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.
22If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me."
Phillipians 1: 20-22
If living for Christ means living to die, so be it. But let's not be dying to live a life that has no purpose. For a tree that does not bear fruit is "cut down and thrown into the fire".

No comments: