Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Power of Love

As I read Luke 19 again, the scene of Zacchaeus climbing up onto the sycamore tree unfolded itself before me once more.

Jesus was in town, and everyone would give anything to steal a glance at this controversial prophet. Buried in the sea of faces was that of Zacchaeus's. A small man in physique and a small man in the judgemental eyes of his fellow countryman, Zacchaeus was forced to climb a tree in order to steal a look at his Saviour. Jesus, of course, had a heart big enough for a small man like Zacchaeus and He offered to go to Zacchaeus's house for the day.

Despite my familiarity with the story, I was suddenly struck with awe as I read Zacchaeus's response:

"Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount." (Luke 19:8)

Jesus did not rebuke Zacchaeus for his sin. Jesus did not condemn his acts of dishonesty towards his fellow countryman. Jesus did not tell him to make right his wrong before coming to the Messiah. Jesus merely extended his invitation of love to Zacchaeus just as he was. With arms opened wide.

And yet, this undeserving love did what no amount of condemnation or rebuke could do. It melted a man's heart. It walked a sinner through the gates of grace.

And a precious child of God was eternally altered.

That's the power of love. Undeserving love.

No comments: